Saturday, March 14, 2009

on buying the SF Chronicle

EVEN MORE: twitter

Craig Newmark / craigslist and the news -- discussion with Eve Batey of sfappeal.com http://tiny.cc/7arxd (sparked by http://tiny.cc/WY5Dr)


MORE:

I believe it would be for financial gain in the long run, that news could be integrated into craigslist and eventually be monetized. If you take a look at the community heading for craigslist cities there is a subheading for "local news and views" -- this subcategory is a mishmash of things at this point but it certainly has potential for news distribution. Craig's inside information from being involved with things like Daylife could really pay off. D.

Still MORE:

Totally understand! It's a precaution we have to take against trolls, but I completely understand why you might not be comfortable with it.

When you say "I think it's unlikely that Craig/craigslist would buy
any media outlet but if it happened, it would be for very different
reasons." I'm intrigued. What reasons would there be?

Eve Batey
sfappeal.

EVEN MORE: Twitter

the motivation if Craig Newmark/craigslist bought the San Francisco Chronicle? http://tiny.cc/7arxd (sparked by http://tiny.cc/WY5Dr) Delia

MORE:

note for Eve: I didn't realize I have to register to post on your site. I don't like doing that -- sorry! D.

STILL MORE:

re: ""I'll tell you that in this case I'm not in the business of considering motivation. Craig has intentionally positioned himself as the Guy Who Would Save Media, so, motivation aside, that's what poses the possibility that he'd be the buyer. I do not understand why he would not state for the record, now that an actually Save Media opportunity is presenting itself, if he is actually going to go for it.

And, I wouldn't blame him if he didn't! It's an expensive proposition with a lot of risk and little reward. But, like I said in my article,this playing coy thing makes his remarks on wanting journos to demand answers of industry leaders hypocritical."

Sorry about the long delay, Eve!

After having followed this for way too long (I thought I successfully quit a while ago but now I'm back at it), I've seen nothing to suggest Craig has any real interest in "saving" anything... just a lot of hot air... and double talk.

I he/craigslist bought the Chron, it wouldn't be to "help out"... that's why I think motivation is very important when discussing this topic. I think it's unlikely that Craig/craigslist would buy any media outlet but if it happened, it would be for very different reasons.

Delia

EVEN MORE:

love this crossposting idea, let's do it! Thanks for asking, please use my email any way you'd like. See you at the Appeal!

On Mar 14, 2009, at 6:30 PM, dperiod@comcast.net wrote: I have no idea what you said in that comment, Eve (haven't read it)...but I like what you are saying now:). Just to clarify, I don't think *you* are fool of it -- I was implying that Craig/craigslist is... We can certainly talk at sfappel if you'd like to talk! I'll meet you there. I'll post a comment to kick it off...re:

"I'll tell you that in this case I'm not in the business of considering motivation. Craig has intentionally positioned himself as the Guy Who Would Save Media, so, motivation aside, that's what poses the possibility that he'd be the buyer. I do not understand why he would not state for the record, now that an actually Save Media opportunity is presenting itself, if he is actually going to go for it.

And, I wouldn't blame him if he didn't! It's an expensive proposition with a lot of risk and little reward. But, like I said in my article,this playing coy thing makes his remarks on wanting journos to demand answers of industry leaders hypocritical."

Delia

P.S. Is it ok to post this email exchange in the body of the entry on my blog? from then on I'll be cross posting my comments (on your site and on my blog) with links to your responses on your site, ok?

On Sat, 2009-03-14 at 18:09 -0700, Eve Batey wrote:Now I'm trying to remember what I said, because I think it was clever! Maybe something like "come over to the Appeal and let's talk about it in the comments there"? Because I'd love to get the discussion going there on it, we are new and eager for discourse.

Barring that, I'll tell you that in this case I'm not in the business of considering motivation. Craig has intentionally positioned himself as the Guy Who Would Save Media, so, motivation aside, that's what poses the possibility that he'd be the buyer. I do not understand why he would not state for the record, now that an actually Save Media opportunity is presenting itself, if he is actually going to go for it.

And, I wouldn't blame him if he didn't! It's an expensive proposition with a lot of risk and little reward. But, like I said in my article, this playing coy thing makes his remarks on wanting journos to demand answers of industry leaders hypocritical.

But, still, come over to the Appeal and let's talk about it! I wantto know what you have to say! Come tell me I'm full of it.

--Eve

MORE:
@sfappeal Eve, I stopped taking comments on that blog; fell free to email (http://tiny.cc/2dukR) if you'd rather not answer here; thanks! D.
...
@sfappeal Eve, what motive would Craig/craigslist have in buying the Chron? "helping out?" that's the real bullshit! http://tiny.cc/375kS D.

No comments: